Sunday, September 4, 2011

WYD Trip Day 2

Now, Saturday, 14th August 2011:
We went walking after a hearty breakfast :9


Since this was the last full day we had at the sleepy town of Terrejon
(Pronounced TEH-REH-HON, I think), we decided to go for a nice walk to explore the town :D

Walking there...
Actually, there's a ton of nice scenery to show you (mostly factories :x)
but there isn't enough space.

Maybe if you request it, I *may* put it up :x

This is the stairs up the flyover.
Yes, you walk on the flyover.
If you reach this, it just means that you are nearing the border of the town.

That's the train tracks that run along the... ground.
These are normal trains. I've not reached the modern subway, which they call "Metro" just yet.

The apartment block beside the rail tracks.

Walking through the little town, you'll find these:

Chinatown restaurant!
It is said that there is awesome Seafood Fried Rice here (it costs 3 Euros),
but I did not come here to eat :/

This is a Museum.
Unfortunately, I did not go in.

The first Church that we spotted.
Don't ask me the names of the churches... I don't know.
They were mostly in Spanish.
(I can hear chele saying "Useless!" in the far distance :x)

We found this guy and started asking him questions.
He was found at the back of the church.
He said that there was another church, and we were advised to go there :o

Train behind the church XD

So we walked and walked.
Finally, we came to THE square 8D
Not sure about its name, sorry D:

Oh yeah!
Malaysia doesn't have these kinds of squares.
Cause the roads in Malaysia are wider than the pedestrian paths.
In squares (fondly called "plaza" in Spainsh), people come to walk in and relax in them.

It's the one place where you wouldn't see many cars trying to drive in it.

The view of the square.
Sorry, Damien was in front of me when this happened.


Nice, ain't it? 8D
And yes, the roads were mostly clean.

Now I said we were looking for the church, right?
Here it is:


When I first saw it, I was like this;
OMGOSH! IT'S SO HUGEEEE!!!

Yeah, it was HUGE.

Who are these people, I wonder?
Maybe they are placed there to give examples so that others can follow them :x
*not implying anything here, please take my comment literally, okay :D

We finally reached the church!

Posing by the church's doors.
It looks cool :o
btw, it was closed at that time.
But you can enter for quiet reflections/prayers.

Mass was going to start in a few hours :o

Sandra, Aunty Amy and Father Patric Massang
*Random fact: Fr Patric was responsible for the musical "The Reluctant Saint" which Rachel
took part in last year. BTW, the musical was fantastic!! 8D

Church's interior.

Guess what scene this was? :D

The front of the church.
The lighting is a little wrong :/
No flash.

Another thing I wanna comment:
In Malaysia, photography within the church wasn't widely practiced,
and it was also discouraged.

Unless it was for a special occasion, normally, no one takes church's pictures.
So my sis and I were super hesitant to take photographs in church.
It seemed wrong somehow :/

So you guys will be missing out a lot on church art in Spain. Sorry D:

After Mass, we walked out through the plaza, wondering where else we should go.

Doesn't it all seem cooling  somehow?
I rarely get this on the streets XD

I suppose we were looking for something to eat after Mass so we can fellowship.
I think it was close to 11pm Madrid time, so it wasn't quite lunch.

In fact, it was kinda 5pm MST; but who's counting eh?

So we turned the corner here and there until we found this little shop:

I wasn't drugged with more/less sleep so I remembered to take a photo of the restaurant XD

Their chocolate drink.
They call it... CHO-CO-LA-TE :x
We say it CHO-CO-LATE... but they have an extra "TE" behind XD XD

btw, I didn't like it.
I was expecting something full-blown chocolate,
like you just melted pure chocolate and served it as a drink.

Instead, it was thick chocolate mixed with something (water, perhaps?)
and not the taste of pure chocolate. So yeah. My heart (really!) was broken. :/

These are PU-RROS.
Yeah, they are called purros.
You Char Kwai, in Cantonese... (cause I asked someone :x)


Purros are originally coiled around like a snake.

Purro and a Churro.
The smaller one is a Churro XD

btw, we ate it by dipping it in chocolate.
You can try this using the Char Kwai; just make sure you use pure chocolate.
Some ate it with coffee... but idk,
I guess I prefer it plain since chocolate and coffee don't mix much with oily food :x

After eating, we went off and decided to explore the town a little bit :)
But first, photo session at the plaza!!


What it looks like XD
People come out during the afternoon, so yeah.

Now I have a chance to prove that I DID go there! 8D
I'm a little sad that somone didn't take the whole church though :/

Have you seen this little scooter thingie?
You just stand on it and it will take you around :o
Nope, I didn't try it, I just saw someone using it XD

I think it's a very important building of some sort... so I took a photo

After awhile, we walked and turned into a back alley.
I think we were exploring the town, so I have no idea where we were going.
Just following the random streets :)

Uncle Paul and Rachel leading the way for us, who were lagging behind taking photos.

A door knob that looked interesting because I've never seen such a knob before :o

A random intersection in the town.
Me thinks these are houses, you know :o
And yeah, you rarely see soil in that area, because it's all pavement.
Also, notice that there aren't any drains around? All covered up.


Oh look! A blue petunia!!
Uncle Paul said we didn't need to take a photo of it, cause...
Malaysia oso got laaaaa XD XD
Meh, I already took it anyway,
and I can't just say Spanish and Malaysian Petunias are the same,
I need to show it too, right? :x


Another park that we bypassed...
I think we are already heading back to the hotel; hm...

These are works of art.

There were more on the other side of the building, too.
Silly lampost spoilt the view *grumbles*

A fountain for a roundabout :o


A shortcut to the Plaza Ayutamiento :D
Where the church is.

I don't know which I'm more impressed on:
The fact that they have Pizza Hut or we have Pizza Hut.
Ignore the graffiti; I didn't mean for it to appear in the photo.
It just did on its own :/

Another creative roundabout.
This fountain's water colour is blue; can you see?
It struck me as weird, but later I found out why.

After that, we had a long, factory-scenic walk to to the hotel.
Since it was getting afternoon (siesta-time!!! 8D 8D) we went back and relaxed in our room
before coming out at 6pm for Mass... in the hotel's main room.

We both did nothing but dried out our clothes and watched some Disney cartoons...
(cause it was in English XD)
Other channels were in Spanish.

Actually, they also had an NHK channel...
it was in English, but a little boring.
It featured only gardens :/

After Mass, we called out some of our friends and went out to have dinner in town.
One whole group of us.

Whoever had room for us made some nice cash that day XD
Anyways, we decided to settle for some Kebab :o

My sis's dinner was this:

Yup, some wrap thingy that came with fries and Coke.

Mine was worse.
I really was starting to eat like a European; I think o.o


My plate.
Which I thought I'd share with my (annoying) sister who refused to come out from the hotel room for dinner in town; saying that there wasn't a point in walking TO town for dinner since after walking back, she'd get hungry again.


Then she went ahead and ordered something light. Big idiot.

Guess what? When she went to sit down, she didn't sit beside me and made me sit at another table because where she sat, there wasn't an empty spot.
(These people changed seats from inside to outside
because it was too hot and the other customers outside had left)

Nevermind, I had to finish all 6.60 Euros' worth of food by myself -_____-;;
That was the last time I will ever think of her hunger when it comes to food. Useless brat.


It sucks lots when you have to play the role of an elder sibling and worry about them when they don't worry about themselves. argh, rawr!!

It wasn't such a nice dining experience cause I realized I sat with these 2 aunties, plus one daughter.
Of which one of them (aunties) looked too tired and may snap my head of at any time.
So dinner was a very chilly atmosphere. A quiet one, too.

Also, they had ordered what I had and three of them shared that meal =.=;;
One of them even stated the obvious: one meal that I was eating by myself could fill up 3 people.
pshhhh, I know. =.=;

So yeah, I wished I actually didn't sit there -________-;;

Putting all those aside...
The name of the place was:


Nice leh.
Just make sure you don't feel pressured to share your food with one idiot sibling and sit with tired aunties.

Oh, and because I've never seen this in Malaysia, I shall show you this:


The meat.
They actually use a shaving thing to shave off the pieces of meat :o

You know, when I wanted to take a picture of the meat,
the (Spanish) worker there noticed I was taking a picture.

Then he asked if I wanted to take HIS picture. LOL!! XD
When I explained that I was only trying to take the pic of the meat,
he seemed a little dissappointed and stepped aside :x

Now that I think of it, I should've humoured him a little, hor? XD
Opps :x

Once we finished, (thank you, Lord!! *phew*!)
we left the restaurant.

Most of us were already crossing the road to go back to the hotel when Uncle Paul
quickly explained to Rachel that he was going to take a look at the night life in that little town.

I watched him go and then decided that I wanted to see the night life there too! 8D
Sis agreed, and before you knew it, the five of us broke off from the orginal group and chased after Uncle Paul. Like children. Shamelessly.

Uncle Paul was kinda "hmm -_____-;;" at our reaction,
cause he thought he'd go exploring on his own.
Unfortunately, all his "nieces and nephews" came along and disturbed his peace.

We were there to make sure he didn't go to any bars...
No, just kidding :x
We just wanted to see the Spanish lifestyle at night :)

So we did.

Streets at night.
Recognize it?

Nice right?


When I first saw this, I thought, meh; so not nice -.-;
But in my opinion, it turned out better than my sis's one o.o
BTW, Uncle Paul taught us not to use flash on streets like that to get the effect.

But close-ups should have flash :x
Like this:

From left:
Sandra, Damien, Uncle Paul, Sis, Auntie Amy


I think you see me XD

Random fact:
Sis and I should called Uncle Paul "Paul".
But because a friend asked us too, we ended up calling Paul "Uncle Paul".
I think it's an old joke; but the name stuck. Ah well :x

Okay, I should mention how we ended up in Ayuntamiento Plaza again.
It was one seriously funny story.

The six of us were walking in that lonely alley, enjoying the (unpolluted) night air,
when we noticed this old guy walking his dog.

Truth to be told, he was in front of us, and we *looked* like we were following him.

I mean, when we stop to take photos, he stops cause of his dog and when we walk, he walks.
Now I suppose that it is enough for anyone to get paranoid,
since there were six of us and one of him (and his dog) in the night
and it appeared as though we were stalking him....
Don't forget that this was a lonely alley, too.

So!
We caught up with him and his dog.
The dog was so cute and white and we were going all "aww doggie doggie" behind him when he suddenly turned around and asked us something in Spanish.

When we said, "No comprendo" he started speaking in English;
and asked us if we were new to Spain.
Then he told us of a place where the lights are beautiful at night. At some plaza.
And because none of us knew the way (bingo!) he gave us directions to get there.

So guess what we did?
Being camera-happy people, that's where we went.
Towards this mysterious plaza where the lights are beautiful.

After awhile, trying to figure out his directions,
we were wondering if he just wanted to get rid of us from following him XD

We made jokes, and I was convinced that after taking a few steps once we parted,
he must've casually turned around to make sure that we weren't following him.

Once we got to the place (Uncle Paul almost cracked his head finding it)
we realized we were conned, and the paranoid-Spanish man theory stood.

He DID think we were after him and his dog! DX
Crap -___-;;

Ah well. lol.

One of the photos while heading to the mysterious plaza

At the plaza:

Just a normal, well-lit plaza :/

Sisters!

I'd have taken to show you more pics, but they were all blur -___-;;
So forget about posting them here, ugh =.=;

However, I must say that the Spanish (summer) night life is quite interesting.
At the plazas, the families come out for a stroll at the plazas.
You could almost say it's sibling time o.o
(10pm Spanish time, peeps)

10pm in Malaysia is considered to be quite late;
and most teenagers don't have the luxury of having the curfew extended that late.

But during that time, there were lots of kids, and they were just hanging out at the plaza.
So that's the Spanish nightlife, peeps.

After that experience, we went home.

A random closing pic:

This thing was blue FROM THE START!
lol

Yeah.
That was it, the next day was Sunday and we were supposed to check-out from the hotel.

Alright, it's late now (1.53am =.=)
Good night :D

To continue, click World Youth Day #3

No comments: