There's one photo that I didn't put up,
so as to explain why the photo quality isn't great from the camera...
(especially the char quality for the statue/procession of the Via Crutis)
This^
was how far we were from the screen.
Yeah, see the red box in the middle of the picture?
That was the screen. :x
Yesh, we were THAT far T_T
Moving on :D
Saturday, 20th August 2011
Today, we didn't have anymore Catechesis.
Instead, we were to prepare ourselves for the walk from Madrid (or our homestay place)
to Cuarto Vientos aerodome.
And we were to stay overnight there.
*I found out later that it was an airfield, where aeroplanes take off and land, that kind of field.
Anyways...
Father Patrick had been invited by the Redemptorist community
so most of us went along to join the activity.
Pictures after we got off Empalme Metro Station... at the Redemptorist Center.
The name is Alfonsiana Missioneros Redentoristas.
I think :x
I just saw my name tag given by them XD
So this was what it looked like, since the event was held in a school.
Uhmm... at the basketball court of the school?
Canopy Masss.
They had ordained and accepted three priests into the Redemptorist Order.
Giving a greeting speech. I think
The exterior of the church.
They also organized a play (which was in Spanish)...
And they also gave us a booklet with the English translation.
And I went to the extreme right of the church upstairs to get a good view.
After that, I realized I forgot to bring my copy of the English translation of the play ._.
Person in grey, holding the stick of the broom: Sweeper.
Person carrying the backpack: Pilgrim
Person wearing a tiara and a white gown (?): Goddess Cibeles
*not that we believe in her, but she's part of the legend in Madrid.
**I could be completely wrong, though. Since I've lost the little English Translation Booklet of mine T_T
Hm... not sure what the one in brown coat and black is, sorry. D:
That one in black, he's Alfonsus Liguori.
The priest that started the Redemptorist Order :D
After the play, we went back to the canopy and Mass resumed.
Before we could go out though, we were stuck at the mouth of the staircase.
So I took some glass-stained windows pictures lol
Nice right? XD
You'd never find this in Malaysia :'(
Interior of the church, where I stood.
*Which was upstairs. I mentioned this, already, didn't I?
*facepalm*
After we reached our seats outside on the church, Mass started.
It was interesting, because the Mass was another language...
I think it was in Spanish :D
After Mass, they told us to go and grab a plastic bag which contained lunch.
So we did :D
Random shot from inside the compound.
In the plastic bag, there were 2 types of Subway-style sandwiches, without veggies.
*Chicken and beef 8D with cheese
One plastic box of... something (sour, it was), apple,
Yogurt, and two bottles of water.
*There maybe more, but I've already forgotten them :x
This was my chicken and beef sandwich :D
Upclose and personal :D
Oh, so those sandwich things were called "baguettes".
Well, they were awesome 8D
We are all having lunch on the floor.
Yeah, orange ahoy!!
After lunch, we were beyond full XD
Then the organizers said that we were to perform our cultural songs or something.
That time, we were shocked XD
In the midst of deciding what song to perform, we were called to assemble in the church.
That was when they said that we were going to get going to Cuarto Vientos XD
So, our momentary panic was all for nothing :x
After the brief briefing we had in church, on the way out... (of the church)...
Everyone kissed the Cross.
I didn't know why, but I just went ahead and did it o.o
They told us to refill our water bottles (and they even gave us one water bottle lol! XD)
Of course, when in Spain, you do like the Spanish do.
Which is, refill from the water tap.
Though I'd normally refill from the bathrooms, this time, I didn't trust the tap water there :x
So I refill the water from the pipe. Oh man, the water there was super sweet! <3
We walked and walked and walked.
Like I said, went I go in a group, I don't pay attention to the way (back).
So I have no idea which way we were going.
All going left, right, straight, and straight across so many roads D:
Many people stopped to buy some drinks halfway there.
And we did pass by a few houses, and there were people watering their plants then.
*since it was in the afternoon, around 4.15pm Madrid time
So they kindly sprayed us with water to cool us down. rofl.
But it wasn't so hot, because the paths where we walked had
tall trees providing shades in the afternoon.
While we were nearly reaching there,
we passed by the first petrol station I've seen since entering the city of Madrid.
And guess what people were doing there?
Yup, they were cooling themselves down with water from the car wash.
Oh btw, the car wash there is pretty self-service.
You pay a few Euros (not exceeding 5 Euros, I think)
and then YOU. wash your car.
And btw, I didn't mean to catch this lady, because she was there accidentally.
Anyways, she's the closest to how I was like the whole day, walking.
Except with two bags, one in front, one at the back.
Yes, it was tiring D:
And when we reached the place, it was swarming with people.
The entrance was there, and there was security, kinda.
You HAD to show your tags to get in.
Which I did, of course :P
*Last pic of the day.
See how bright it was?
I want to you to keep this brightness in mind.
I didn't take out my camera after going in because it was super dusty.
Even after entering Cuantro Vientos, we still had to look for out place;
And it was a long walk away.
The thing was, I heard they prepared toilets and baths;
but there were TONS of people queuing up to enter the toilet/bath.
So conserve on the water! XD
Also, there were people walking around in their bikinis
*It DID look like a beach... just without the sea :/
And I thought to myself, why in the world did I come in long pants? -.-;;
Well, thank goodness I came in Crocs :D
btw, Shakira was playing, Waka Waka (This Time For Africa) lol.
Also, there were fire engines (my mind thought to itself: OH NO.)
And DUH! they were spraying water.
People who were already there were running after the fire engines
when it moved, and jumping from around it when it stopped.
You'd think after being in Spain for one week, I'd be smart enough
to start wrapping the inside of my bagpack with a plastic bag before putting the contents in.
Of course, I'm dumber than that :'(
I just didn't think that the fire trucks were going to be present (at a campsite).
So when they appeared.... I was speechless before going into silent prayer mode.
I passed 2 fire engines, praying to God to spare my bags
*There were cameras and shirts and whatnot needed.
And I was about to be relieved when I saw another fire engine in front of me.
While I prayed in my thoughts: God, please DON'T let me get wet...
SPLOOOOOSHHHH!!!
I got sprayed down with water >.<
At that time, I didn't know what to do; let the bag in front of me get wet,
or the one behind me?
By the time the water let out (after 2 seconds on me), I was just wet all over.
Yup. With both bags wet XD
*and silently thanking God that I was wearing my beloved orange T-Shirt XD
So after another long walk (I was dry after that o.o),
we came across the place we were supposed to sleep at...
but uhm... it was truly... no space for the large group of us :/
The little handful of us had to camp outside on the road.
*walkway, to be more precise
And we were just behind the garbage bins (that looked like recycling bins).
Further in front, there was the large screen to see what was happing on stage.
Which was okay...
And then there was this lady that came out of nowhere and said,
"Don't you know that this road was meant for people with trolley bags? bla bla bla..."
and walked off.
I was like, huh?
There were other people there, why did you have to tell ME?!
And in the first place, why didcha have to bring a trolley bag, lady? XD
Everyone else brought backpacks, and this is the great outdoors :o
Anyways, we camped awhile there before someone came
and told us to go behind where there was space.
And when I did so, guess what was there?
A pile of rubbish, with empty tin cans and bottles and I don't dare think what else.
It didn't stink, so I thought it was fine.
And then another person came and told us that there was space further behind.
o.o
So we migrated again :D
This time, no rubbish anywhere.
The Adoration Makeshift Tent was right behind us, the "bar" was next to it, and then there
were taps for brushing teeth, which separated the male and female toilets.
After we unpacked and held out more space for the rest of our friends,
the prayer vigil started, after Papa arrived. Kinda.
It was around 8pm to 9pm, when heavy clouds started to appear.
Remember that it was bright? Yeah, it was beginning to look dark.
Not because of the sun setting, but because of the clouds.
I hoped they weren't rain clouds, honestly.
Then strong winds appeared, and there was thunder.
The group in front of us packed up their bags in plastic bags (where I failed to bring some D:)
THEN it started raining. People were running helter skelter for shelter.
Of course, we moved to the Adoration tent,
and there were people who stood outside the tent,
making it look full from the outside.
Really, it was empty inside, with lots of space to spare for sitting and standing.
Papa encouraged everyone to pray to the Lord Jesus to let up the storm that was underway
so that we can continue with the Prayer Vigil.
And that's what we did. We prayed.
In our own little small groups, we joined hands and prayed for the storm to let up;
as the strong winds that was blowing carried the short hay everywhere.
After 15 minutes, the storm really did let up, and everyone cheered :D
People moved back into the open, and set up their sleeping bags again.
I found out that my sister's sleeping bag's zip spoilt,
so I just opened my sleeping bag and we used it as a cover.
After the Prayer Vigil, there were a moment of fireworks,
before we pilgrims could do whatever we want and sleep.
In a group, we said one rosary, and then we went to sleep...
while people continued to walk up and down the walkway.
To continue, click World Youth Day #9
No comments:
Post a Comment